Saturday, May 15, 2010

Yummy Spoonfuls Review

Yummy Spoonfuls' is a company that makes fresh, organic baby foods.  You receive them frozen on your doorstep in 2 business days after shipping.  Talk about easy shopping, a couple of clicks and fresh, organic baby food literally appears at your door.  Yummy Spoonfuls’ founder and CEO Agatha Achindu frequently speaks out on the importance of diet as it relates to various childhood diseases, Achindu believes the best baby food is fresh and pure--that means no chemicals, additives or preservatives. While difficult for small businesses to achieve, organic certification remains the consumer’s best assurance of purity, according to Achindu. Achindu’s passion for quality and the health of her baby led her to found Yummy Spoonfuls in 2006.

When Cookie Magazine online conducted a reader’s poll earlier this year, Yummy Spoonfuls was named Number One over 12 other organic brands.  I think Avin would rank it high too!  Yummy Spoonfuls' comes in three "stages".  Stage 1 is "Creamy Yummy, stage 2 is "Mushy Yummy" and stage 3 is "Chunky Yummy".  I received a variety of items from the stage 2 and stage 3 for Avin to try.  Avin doesn't like carrots very well so several of the choices were not popular with him because they contained a blend of carrot.  He does however LOVE fruit (especially blueberries) and the items that contained fruit blends he ate the entire container and yelled for more.  I would have liked to see a few more single strain vegetables at the "Mushy" and "Chunky" stage but more with more than 23 distinct and flavorful organic food items for babies, infants, and toddlers I really shouldn't complain!

Each unit of baby food came frozen in its own little plastic cup.  I loved the convenience of this because you could heat and eat without needing to dirty up an additional bowl.  I worry about the BPA in plastics and was very pleased to see that all of the Yummy Spoonfuls packaging is BPA free!  I was however disappointed to see that the plastics were not recyclable in my area.  Sadly we can only recycle number one and two plastics so I had to toss these little containers in the trash when we were done.  The cooler that the food arrives in is made from Styrofoam so it is non-recyclable as well.  Packaging is a strong consideration for me so I would probably only purchase this in bulk to reduce the number of Styrofoam coolers I used. 

You can purchase Yummy Spoonfuls online at amazon.com or YummySpoonfuls.com.  I suggest starting off with a variety pack sampler like Yummy Spoonfuls Mushy Yummy Variety Pack, 4-Ounce Tubs (Pack of 12).  You can also find Yummy Spoonfuls online on twitter and facebook.  I'm sure your baby will love Yummy Spoonfuls as much as mine!

No comments: